This is your source for an insider perspective on European six-day racing this winter. I'm still looking for sponsors to help make it all possible (here's my resume). Also feel free to make donations online using the button below; any support is appreciated and I have a list of private contributors on the site throughout the year.

Friday, October 5, 2007

I think Garfield (the cat, not the president) once said that if you set your expectations low enough you'll never be disappointed. With that in mind, maybe at this point it's time to rethink my strategies for these races. Today's points race was a step in the right direction over the last two days, but still not what I had been hoping for coming into nats. It's a bit of a mystery why I haven't been feeling it since I was setting all kinds of power PRs in the month before nationals. But somehow the legs have just been completely absent this whole week.

The points race qualifiers were early in the morning, and both Dan and I qualified while Alan narrowly missed out. The qualifiers were surprisingly fast this year, and even guys like Huff and McCook didn't make it in. In the final heat some didn't make it even after lapping the field twice. I actually felt pretty good in the final, and rode a fairly aggressive race but couldn't quite line up my attacks with the flow of the race. Twice the counters to my moves got away and lapped, and somehow I was never attacking during the points. In hindsight I should have layed low for a while to get in sync with the sprint laps, but I was really gunning to take a lap since that seemed like my best shot at a top-5 compared to duking it out in the sprints. In the end that strategy didn't pay off.

Tomorrow is the madison and Dan and I are looking for some redemption. It's not clear yet whether there will be qualifying heats or simply a final, but either way we'd like to ride an aggressive race and shoot for a podium spot. I guess that runs counter to my opening aphorism, but at this point there's not much to lose.

Oh, in perhaps the most immediate realization of karma in the history of the world, someone stole both of our pee bottles. It's more than a bit surprising since they were both clearly marked with Mr. Yuk faces. And whether the scoundrel uses them for drinking or for peeing, a pee bottle seems like something you wouldn't want to double dip. Like recycling chamois cream, dentures, or thongs.

No comments: